Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ball Park Mustard

Lately I have been really into mustards... all kinds of mustard... especially mustards I can make and can myself.  A true bonus is that it uses eggs, and as a chicken owner any recipe that uses up the eggs is a good one.  So far I have made a couple of different kinds.  A grainy rosemary/thyme which was good but not my favorite combination - a little to reminiscent of turkey dinner for me.  And Ball Park which has been delicious.  Tonight I am canning my third batch.  It seems only to get better and better.  The recipe I am using requires beer not vinegar. 
The first couple of times I made this recipe I used small jars 125ml.  These are really great for giving guests, but to be practical if you are making it for yourself I suggest using 250ml glass jars, either standard or wide mouth.  Don't use fancy jars it makes getting the mustard out of the jar a task.  I learned that the hard way. ... what a waste...
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Ball Park Mustard

You will need:
  • A large water bath canner with a basket
  • 4 x 250ml glass canning jars with bands and lids
  •  Double boiler or medium to large size metal mixing bowl on top of a pot of water (be careful)
  • Whisk
  • Canning tongs
  • 2 cups of your favorite beer
  • 1 cup ground mustard
  • 1/2 cup H2O
  • 4 Eggs
  • 2Tbsp Turmeric
  • 25ml (1Tbsp & 2 Tsp) Salt
  • 20ml (1Tbsp & 1 Tsp) Corn Starch
  • 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tbsp Sugar

Step 1 :    In a medium size metal mixing bowl put the 2 cups of beer, 1 cup of ground mustard, 2 Tbsp Turmeric, and the 1/2 cup of water.  Mix well, cover with plastic wrap and leave in fridge overnight.


Step 2:     Put the canner 1/2 to 3/4 full of water on the stove and start to boil. Sterilize your jars.  Get yr double boiler ready with about an inch and a half of water.  Go get yr mustard/beer mix from the fridge.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients.  Make sure to mix these ingredients in well.  


Step 3:     Put yr metal bowl of mustard on the double boiler and whisk continually for about 7 to 10 minutes.  This is a workout, not for the weak at wrist....  you could use an immersion blender if you have one.  Just be careful you don't want hot mustard flying around willy nilly.   Mix til it starts to thicken but remains smooth.  Slight peaks is enough, think hollandaise sauce.  Remember the mustard is going to cook in the water bath for another 30 minutes.


Step 4:  Put your lids in hot water. Get your funnel ready and fill your jars with the mustard.  Leave almost an inch at the top of the jar.  Once yr jars are full use a chopstick to run along the inside walls of the jars to get out any air bubbles.  Now clean the rims of your jars and put your soaked lids on the jar and then the band.  Remember only to finger tighten the bands not too tight.


Step 5:  Now immerse the jars of mustard in the boiling water bath.  Leave them in there at a boil for about 30 minutes (if you are at higher altitudes you might want to go up to 35 or 40 minutes.  Once the timer is up remove the mustard from the canner and put them upright on a tea towel.  Let them rest there for several hours til they are cooled.  Once the jars are cooled you can remove the bands and store your mustard.  YOU MUST LET THIS MUSTARD AGE FOR 14 DAYS BEFORE USING! I know what a drag.  But it is worth the wait!
Pigeon loves mustard


I hope you enjoy this.  I will quickly mention that this recipe is one that works for me, I am no authority on canning. You may choose to consult other available recipes to compare should you wish.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment